Monday, August 29, 2011

MLG Raleigh 2011

So it happened... I finally went to the Major League Gaming for the weekend.



Three of my friends decided that they want to go to Raleigh for MLG this year. I have known them for over three years from an Internet Message board. This was the first time I have ever met them in person. I was unsure at first because of all the car problems that I have been having last week (Break failure that caused me to hit a wall) but they kindly offered to drive to Charlotte to pick me up. I did not have a lot of options since I was stuck in my brother's house waiting for my car to get fixed (and no, the car is not fixed yet).

My friends Drove from NYC to DC and finally picked me up on Friday. The weather was not bad and we were at Raleigh at 3:00pm. We ended up sharing a 2 bedroom and I slept on the ground (Hey! I wasn't paying for the room)


We headed to MLG on the next day and it was a blast. Beside of the 4 games that were played (Starcraft 2, cod, LoL and Halo), there were booths set up for the public. I got to try many unreleased games at the Sony booth. I had a blast watching live Starcraft 2 matches. I have watched the streams over the internet but the experience of being around a crowd cheering for the players and talking between the rounds gave me nerd-chills.





The best part of the trip was meeting my friends. We have never met before and it is unreal to finally meet them in person. We look down at online communities and label those who spend their time participating in online community as anti-social. I don't understand why we think that everyone behind a keyboard is a bad-serial-killer-creeper when we all spend hours online every day. I have friends all over the United States and Europe who enjoy the same activities that I do (mostly videogames) who I socialize with daily.


Hopefully, I would be able to organize my trip better. I met many from my city who were interested in going but we could not plan it right. It is not hard to set up the basics. Overall, I think that the fun that you would get from this trip (or any trip you have in mind) would overweight any issues you will face. This was one of the few times were I said "Let’s just do it" and it turned out to be one of the most fun weekends in my life.

No comments :

Post a Comment