Monday, November 7, 2011

Interview Questions by Chris Foley - Starcraft 2

A teammate in my UNCC SC2 team (and a friend of mine) wanted some help with his paper. I liked the questions and I think that the answers would make a good blog post.

Starcraft Questions
What is Starcraft to you?
A game. A very good one.

What got you into Starcraft?
The pro scene. I always enjoyed video games but I had never looked at videogames as competitive until I found out youtube videos of tournaments played in Korea and WCG. I picked up the game afterward and the more I tried to improve myself (by looking strategies , practicing with mentors and applying stratagies I watched others do). The better I got in the game the more I  enjoyed it.

If you could have time to truly dedicate to Starcraft would you attempt and try to go pro with it?
Not really.. I have a huge respect for the proscene but I don't think that I would enjoy it much.

Do you see yourself playing starcraft for as long as possible?
Not starcraft, But I will surley continue playing videogames forever as long as I can find the games that would let me practice those skills

What is the most difficult part of starcraft for you?
Improve my analytic skills. I tend to get frustrated at games that I lose without knowing the reason why I lost or what should I have done better.

What motivates your to become better at starcraft?
I think a lot of the concepts that I learn from SC can be applied in real life. I see a lot of concept in my real life as game concepts. An example would be time management and how spending more effort on one part would have to be sacrificed on the other side.
Also I realized that I get the same feeling while playing as the one that I get when I am taking a test (a headache from the lack of oxygen and long period concetrating).
There is a lot of pressure when I play and I become extreimly tired. I had felt my heart beats many times and I could not sleep after games because of the adrilanin in my body. Knowing that I can become better at those situations by playing more "games" can only make me happier.


Social Questions
What is your reaction to people who call you a nerd?
I have always liked it and I embrace it more now. I know that it can be looked at negetivily, but I have always enjoyed who I am and I love it when I find other nerds to hang out with. I think that we should all be passionate about something and become nerds for what we love.


Do you have a girlfriend? If not is there any particular reason why not that you care to share?
lolno because of video games!. Ok not really but I know that is the answer that you wanted.

I am from a different culture (I moved to the US 7 years ago) and I don't have a lot in common with most of the people that I meet. It is hard enough for me to make friends due to my narrow interest (but I try!). I see relationships as a higher level of friendship so that narrow it even more. The pool is very small and to be honest, I enjoy the freedom now.

Can I just go and find a random girlfriend? of course, but I do not want to watch a crappy movie and eat dinner somewhere every weekend. I guess there are things I need to scarafice.

Do you consider yourself to have a social life outside of gaming and starcraft?
Yes. I go to clubs whenever they are having any Electronic DJs and tend to be the one bringing everyone together on the go outs.

Do you go or want to go to big gaming events like Blizzcon, MLG, Gamescon, E3, Dream Hack, etc?
YES! Money and time are my only limits. I finally made it to MLG last year even that my crappy car was broken. It was worth evey pennie.

Have you found starcraft or gaming in general to sometimes distract your from other commitments like work or school? If so how often does it happen?
I only play videogames because I don't want to do my work. If it wasn't gaming then I would find something else to proscastinate (like writing this paper)

Do you go to parties or social events outside of gaming like house parties, sports events, frat parties, clubs, etc.?
Yes. It mainly depends on if I enjoy the people going or not. If you know any house parties coming soon then let me know.

Information Questions
What is your current student status (freshmen, sophomore, etc.)?
Senior
Do you have a job?
Yes. I had 2 this semester but dropped one due to an awesome senior project that I want to put more time into it.
Are you a provider/supporter of a family (help pay bills, etc.)?
It is complicated. But yes I support myself and I didn't ask for money in over 5 years now. I am also expected to support my parents once I graduate school.

No comments :

Post a Comment